Dr. Sergio Verboonen is a bariatric surgeon in Tijuana and Cancun that has performed over 10,000 laparoscopic surgeries since the early 1990s. Of the 10,000 laparoscopic surgeries, Dr. Verboonen has performed over 2,300 gastric banding surgeries. One of his selling points is that he has undergone lap band surgery himself.
Just one mile away from the U.S. – Mexico border, Sergio does bariatric surgery in a hospital named VBariatric Surgical Center (OGBC). He has been operating in this hospital and helping patients fight obesity for the past 25+ years.
When Dr. Sergio Verboonen was in medical school, he actually suffered from obesity himself. After undergoing weight loss surgery, he actually took on the challenge to learn more about bariatric surgery from different parts of the world including the USA, Canada, Netherlands, France, and Mexico.
- Medical degree from National Autonomous University of Mexico
- Lap Band certified surgeon
- Specialized in Laparoscopic Surgery in the General Hospital of The Secretary of Health
- Member of the Mexican Association of Endoscopic Surgery
- Member of the Medical Association and of the Association of General Surgeons of Mexico
- Current President of the College the Surgeon General of Baja California
- Member of the Society of Mexican Surgeons of the Obese.
Memberships and Certifications
- Member of the mexican society of endoscopic surgery (asociación mexicana de cirugía endoscopica).
- Current regional delegate of AMCE 2002-2003
- Member of the mexican society of bariatric surgery (sociedad mexicana de la cirugía de la obesidad, a.c.).
- Member of the Mexico Board of Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (CMCOEM)
- Member of the medical college of Tijuana: (colegio medico de Tijuana).
- Member of the general surgeons college of Tijuana (colegio de cirujanos generales de Tijuana a.c.).
- Mexican of the Council of General Surgery (CMCG)
- Member of the IFSO ( international federation surgery obesity).
- Current president of the general surgeons college of Tijuana; 2002-2003.
- Was the last president of the college of surgeons general of Tijuana. (2002-2003) until june 2003.
- Member Mexican Society of General Surgery (AMCG Asociación Mexicana de Cirugía General)
- Member of Colegio Posgraduados en Cirugía General
- Member of Latinamerican Society of Endoscopic Surgery (ALACE ASOCIACION LATINOAMERICANA DE CIRUGIA ENDOSCOPICA)
- Member Latin American Federation of Surgery (FELAC Federación Latino americana de cirugia)
- Member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
Surgeries Performed and Pricing
Dr. Verboonen is very knowledgeable in this industry and can perform a wide variety of bariatric surgeries.
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery – Starting at about $4,500
- Gastric Plication Surgery – Starting at about $4,500
- Gastric Bypass Surgery – Starting at about $6,900
- Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery – Starting at about $6,500
- Lap-Band Procedure – Starting at about $4,500
- Lap-Band Removal – Starting at about $2,500
- Lap-Band Adjustment – Starting at about $150
- Single Incision Gastric Sleeve Surgery – Starting at about $5,500
- Duodenal Switch Surgery – Starting at about $8,500
- Revisional Surgery
Reviews and Ratings
“Anyway, the first time I had the procedure the band slipped the very next day and had to have removed. Several thousands of dollars to have removed. THEN they promise to redo the lap band related to the slippage, so went back and immediately after the procedure it slipped. They refused to remove the band unless I paid cash. I couldn’t even keep down my own saliva. DO NOT GO TO MEXICO OR HAVE Dr. Sergio Verboonen PLACE A LAP BAND!!!” – Review from Complaints Board
“Had my VSG with Dr V in 11/19/10 and it was by far one of the best decisions I have ever made. Dr V was there to answer all of my questions and to guide me through the entire surgical experience. Sheri, patient coordinator, was always there and on top of things and she made sure that my every need was met. Eric, our driver, was always attentive and VERY patient and I thank him for that. My surgery was done in Cancun at Galenia Hospital and it was quite a pleasant hospital experience.” – Review from ObesityHelp