Dr. Mariano Covarrubias is an expert surgeon with over 17 years of experience in laparoscopic weight loss surgery. As a graduate from the Faculty of Medicine and Medical General at the UABC, and more than 3,000 bariatric procedures performed in Tijuana.
Dr. Covarrubias is prepared to meet all demands in bariatric surgeries. Dr. Covarrubias is a surgeon that works for A Lighter Me, however, A Lighter Me went out of business. Dr. Covarrubias now works with Elias Ortiz & Company.
- Professional License Number: 2342032
- Specialty Card: 4010195
- Specialty: General Surgery at Tijuana General Hospital, 1995–1999.
- Education: Laparoscopic and obesity surgery at Regional General Hospital of The Social Security Mexican Institute, January 2000–Present, with Dr. Lopez Corvala
- Current Practices: General Surgeon and Professor of Laparoscopic Surgery at Private Practice of Regional General Hospital IMSS Tijuana
Experience and Training
Dr. Mariano Covarrubias has a wide range of bariatric surgery experience. This ranges from receiving training as a teacher to being the president of a college.
- 1988–1994, Graduated from the Faculty of Medicine and Medical General at UABC
- 1995–1999, Specializing in General Surgery at the General Hospital of Tijuana
- 1999, Certified by the Mexican Council Of General Surgery
- 2002–2004, Received a diploma from Xochicalcos University in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery and Obesity
- 2004, Trained as a teacher in courses of Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery and Obesity
- 2007, President of the College of General Surgeons Tijuana
Dr. Covarrubias has the following training experience.
- 1999, Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair
- October 1999, Robotic surgery
- 2000, Laparoscopic gynecology training
- May 2001, Adjustable gastric banding system and lap band system workshop
- 2001–Present, Gastric band professor
- June 2002–May 2004, Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery (spleen and obesity surgeries, hiatal hernia repair, inguinal hernia, et al)
- 2003–Present, Gastric sleeve training
- June 2004–October 2005, Training as a professor of advanced laparoscopic surgery
- June 2006, Laparoscopic colon surgery
Surgeries Performed and Pricing
Dr. Covarrubias performs the following surgeries:
Reviews and Ratings
“I just had VSG with MD Mariano Covarrubias 2 weeks ago (Dec 5th 2011).
Everything is going great, in addition to pre-surgery care, to surgery and post-surgery. Very professional, optimistic, and straight + prudent to talk with. Nice Doctor. I had my surgery in Tijuana, no issues at all, from hospital to care taken. I recommend him for sure!” – Jorge. L