Heart bypass surgery is a cardiovascular procedure that brings the blood flow back to the heart. It can be performed when there is a blockage in one or more of one’s arteries.
The surgery starts with stopping the heart first, then taking working arteries from different parts of the body such as arms and legs replacing the broken or blocked arteries that connects to the heart muscle.
Requirements for Heart Bypass Surgery
- Patients must have a blockage in one of the coronary arteries (blood vessels that provide oxygen and nutrients to the heart)
- Patients are having a heart attack, where other surgical methods are not working
- Patient previously had angioplasty and it wasn’t successful or angioplasty can’t be performed on them for certain reasons
- One or more arteries are very narrow and have a weak pump to the heart
The main goal of this surgery is to stop chest pain or breathing issues from patients.
Risks related to heart bypass surgery:
- Heart beating pattern issues
- Mental clarity
- Chest pain and fever
- Chest infection
How to prepare for this surgery
Always inform the doctor or nurse what medication you are using. Days before the surgery please inform your doctor about these things:
- The medical they are using
- If you have any sickness or flu
The day of surgery
- Patients may have to take medication issued by the doctor
- Patients must not eat or drink before the surgery (starting midnight)
Heart Bypass Procedure
Patients will receive general anesthesia before the surgery. The surgeon will begin by cutting a 10-inch incision in the middle of your chest. Depending on one’s body, other body parts may be separated so the surgeons can see your heart and the blood vessels connected to it.
The success rate of heart bypass surgery
These are the main factors that can contribute to the success rate:
- Fewer heart beating problems
- Short hospital stay
- Lower risk of stroke
- Less need for blood transfusion
Heart Bypass Advantages
- Improves exercise performance
- Reliefs chest pain
- No more blocked arteries
Cardiac Bypass Surgery in India-Go with Indian Healthguru Group:
What does Heart Bypass Surgery cost in India? A report by the Medical Tourism Association reported that in 2010 the average cost of heart bypass surgery was $7,000. In comparison, the average cost of Heart Bypass Surgery was $144,000 in 2010. The survey reported that India currently has the lowest price.
When considering the cost of heart bypass surgery it’s important to note that these prices do not reflect the travel associated costs (including airfare, hotel, etc). Prices will vary depending on the providers.
Read more Heart Surgery in Mexico