India is the world’s leader in medical tourism with an unprecedented 30% growth rate and its patients are expected to spend $2 billion in 2012. India is a popular country for alternative medicine, bone marrow transplants, cardiac bypass and hip replacements.
Beyond these four groups, India was one of the first countries to be known for Medical Tourism. India is quite popular for heart surgeries, with hospitals in India which are on par with American hospitals. An estimated 150,000 people travel to India to undergo some form of medical treatment.
Heart Surgeries in India
India is especially popular for cardiology, and heart surgeries. One hospital, the Wockhardt Hospital, which is Harvard-affiliated, has preformed more than 20,000 heart procedures with an astounding 98% success rate (surpassing US and EU standards). Today, India has some of the most advanced hospitals in existence.
India Complementary and Alternative Medicine
India is famous for its Ayurvedic Medicine, a form of practiced medicine that was started over 5,000 years ago is quite popular and gaining acceptance in the U.S.
India Medical Tourism Pricing
There have been claims that medical treatments in India cost one-tenth the cost of American or Britain. Another study found that people can save 60-90% on an array of procedures from orthopedics to cardiology.
India Medical Procedures Available:
- Orthopedic Surgery (hip replacement, knee replacement, etc)
- Cardiology and Cardiothoracic surgery
- Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery: Face, Breast, Body Contouring
- Dental Services (surgeries, teeth whitening, dental implants, etc)
- Bariatric Surgery/Weight Loss Surgery
- Cancer and Oncology
- Eye / Ophthalmology (LASIK, Cataract Surgeries, Vitreo Retinal Surgery, etc)
- General Surgery
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Nephrology and Kidney Transplant